|<< 8 API Reference||< 9.15 Version 3.0.0 October 17, 2006||Up: 9 Release Notes||9.17 Version 2.5 Beta January 14, 2005 >||10 Index >>|
9.16 Version 2.5 March 8, 2005
9.16.1 Enhanced Features
- The Source Code Product now includes the C code for interactive trace/debug and profiling. This was not provided in any previous release.
- Translator: A new -fastfp option has been added for WATCOM/DOS (registered version only). This option can double the speed of a floating-point intensive, translated/compiled, program. The resulting .exe file requires a Pentium class CPU, or a 386/486 with floating-point hardware.
- eu.ex: execute.e now uses call-back machine code supplied by Matthew Lewis. As a result, there is no longer a limit on the number of call-backs a program can use.
- Translator: There is now a -keep option that prevents the deletion of any C files or object files created during translation. Thanks to Matthew Lewis.
- Translator: In order to handle huge programs without exceeding the limits of the C compiler, the translator will split init_.c into several pieces. Thanks to Matthew Lewis.
- Translator: Better checking is provided for incorrect command-line options.
- Translator: The translator avoids creating any files until it confirms that a valid source file has been provided on the command line, or via the interactive prompt.
- ed.ex: ed will only call free_console() at the end of execution on Linux or FreeBSD. It was causing a slight screen flicker on DOS/Windows, and was not necessary.
9.16.2 Bug Fixes
- bug fixed: The error traceback from a bound or shrouded program had garbage showing for the file names and line numbers. This bug was introduced in the beta release.
- bug fixed: Bound or shrouded programs were not starting off with a fresh random seed value. Normal interpreted or translated programs were OK. Thanks to Michael Bolin.
- bug fixed: The error traceback could be wrong if you (illegally) tried to pass a sequence as the routine id for call_proc/func. Thanks to Mario Steele.
- bug fixed: When displaying a large variable value during interactive trace, the first few lines might be printed in white, while the rest was printed in bright white. Thanks to Al Getz.
- bug fixed: routine_id() of the form: routine_id("namespace:name") was not working correctly in the interpreter or in the PD source interpreter. The Translator was ok. This worked fine in 2.4 and earlier. Thanks to Verne Tice.
- bug fixed: command_line() now shows the extra file name when the user types the file name interactively at the ex/exw/exu prompt. This is now compatible with 2.4 and earlier. Thanks to Bob Elia.
- bug fixed: Warnings were not getting reported when a program ended with a call to abort(), or it ended with a fatal run-time error. Thanks to Juergen Luethje.
- bug fixed: The platform() function is now evaluated in backend/backendw/backendu for .il files (rather than in the front-end of the shrouder). This allows a .il file to be portable to multiple platforms. In other situations, the interpreter and translator will continue to evaluate platform() in the front-end for maximum efficiency. Thanks to Ken Rhodes
- Many small corrections and improvements were made to the documentation. Some important ones were provided by Juergen Luethje and Wolfgang Fritz.
- A paragraph was added to the Reference Manual explaining what happens when you try to modify a variable by function side-effects at the same time that you try to modify it via subscripted assignment. The 2.5 alpha release notes were updated to point out an incompatibility with 2.4.